Carbon Monoxide Detectors: A life saving device-December 2008

Monthly Round Up of Important Ideas and Standards in
Industrial Hygiene and Safety 

December 2008


IN THIS ISSUE: Monoxide Detectors: A life saving device

Each winter, families are injured or killed due to a faulty furnace. The culprit is exposure to deadly carbon monoxide, which is released into the air when exhaust gases are not properly vented. Carbon monoxide is a gas, and when inhaled and combined with hemoglobin does not allow oxygen to be transported in the blood.

Families can be protected from asphyxiation by having furnaces inspected annually, and installing carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide detectors can be inexpensively purchased at any hardware store or home center and should be placed at the entry to each bedroom. When activated they release an audible alarm.

Many companies provide or subsidize employees with smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. They are great gifts for the holidays and show that you really care about their welfare.

For more information on this topic and to discuss your company’s safety and industrial hygiene needs call OccuSafe at (214) 662-6005 or visit us at

OccuSafe Environmental and Safety, Inc. provides skills and expertise to recognize, evaluate and control hazards and injuries in the areas of industrial hygiene, occupational safety and health.   OccuSafe services companies of all sizes in a range of industries.

This newsletter is published monthly by OccuSafe Environmental and Safety Services, Inc.   Feel free to forward it to friends and colleagues.

Comments are closed.