IN THIS ISSUE: Storage of Chemicals During the Holidays
It’s great to have visitors and relatives in your home during the holidays. People, especially children, are curious or nosy and like to see what you have in the house. It’s important to keep chemicals securely stored to avoid accidents or injuries. Here are some tips:
- Store flammable liquids such as gasoline and oil-based paints in a metal cabinet away from sources of heat or open flames.
- Keep flammable liquids used regularly such as gasoline, in safety cans.
- Store corrosive materials such as drain cleaners, bleach, and acid in a plastic tub or tray so the product cannot spill out if leaking.
- Acids should be stored away from alkalis and pool chemicals away from fuels.
- Store chemicals and medicines out of the reach of children and pets. Keep them in cabinets with child-proof locks.
- Keep chemicals in their original containers, making sure the lids are tightly sealed to prevent spills.
- Make containers easily identifiable and labeled.
- Routinely check storage locations to ensure that containers are not damaged or leaking, especially if the chemicals are being stored long-term.
- No chemicals should ever be stored in containers used for food or drink.
Have an enjoyable and safe holiday season. For more information on holiday safety see the Centers for Disease Control web site.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from OccuSafe!
OccuSafe Industrial Hygiene & Safety, Inc. provides skills and expertise to recognize, evaluate and control hazards and injuries in the areas of industrial hygiene, occupational safety and health. OccuSafe services companies of all sizes in a range of industries.
This newsletter is published monthly by OccuSafe Industrial Hygiene & Safety Services, Inc. Feel free to forward it to friends and colleagues or see past newsletters at occusafeinc.com/category/newsletter/